Slow Cooker Beef Stew

I found this recipe on AllRecipes.com awhile back and it sounded good so I decided this would be dinner tonight, along with a loaf of Irish Brown Soda Bread (yum!!)

I am posting the recipe as it's originally written, but my tweaks are as follows: I followed the recipe as written and let it cook 3 hours on high then 3 hours on low in the crock pot. I checked it and found the taste bland, it wasn't thick enough and there wasn't enough liquid. I tweaked by fixing a packet of brown gravy on the stove and adding that, along with a dash of thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and several shakes of seasoned salt. For personal preference, I added about 1 cup of fresh grean beans and a can of mushrooms too. With the changes it is very yummy and the right consistency I was looking for. The meat cooked up nice and tender (I used pre-cut stew meat).

Slow Cooker Beef Stew I By: BUCHKO

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 3 potatoes, diced
  • 4 carrots, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
Directions
  1. Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
  2. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.

Comments

Popular Posts