Happy (Almost) Labor Day Weekend!

It is crazy to think that 12 months ago I was getting very antsy and anxious, and ready for our little girl to make her grand appearance! I just went back and looked at my posts from late August 2013, and they are all about freezer meals and getting meals prepped for after Lindsey was born. :)

With Labor Day almost here, and SO looking forward to that extra day off I decided that every now and then it's nice to look back and search the origins of a Holiday, and learn a little something in addition to enjoying a day off from work!

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Labor Day in the United States is a holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. It is a celebration of the American labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country.

Labor Day was promoted by the Central Labor Union and the Knights of Labor, who organized the first parade in New York City. After the Haymarket Massacre, which occurred in Chicago on May 4, 1886, U.S. President Grover Cleveland feared that commemorating Labor Day on May 1 could become an opportunity to commemorate the affair. Thus, in 1887, it was established as an official holiday in September to support the Labor Day that the Knights favored.[1]

I don't know about you, but I am so excited for a full three days off to spend with my family! Kenneth picked up a new foster puppy this morning and I can't wait to go home, meet her, and get some puppy breath kisses. We'll probably have her for about a month based on previous experiences. She's a little cutie pie and Kenneth said she's doing well with our other dogs so far. This is the first foster puppy we've had since we lost Sadie, which makes me sad. Sadie was such a good mommy dog to all our foster puppies over the years.

We're planning to meet up on Sunday AM with some other basset hound lovers at a beautiful park and I am going to take my camera and get some good shots of the kids playing and of the cute puppies too! At some point over the weekend, I'm going to take Kent and hopefully his girlfriend April, to their high school to do 10th grade photos there. I'm excited. I love when Kent actually agrees to be a photo subject. I've been combing pinterest for lots of good ideas for angles and poses and have plenty of my own thoughts too. We'll see how cooperative he is. I can't wait to see how they come out!

Hopefully next weekend I'll be doing Lindsey's 1st Birthday photos! I can't believe it's already time for that - but we're down to just 19 days until she's officially a 1 year old and I want to do her birthday pictures in her super cute birthday outfit BEFORE she gets cake and whatever else all over it the day of her party.

One of these weekends we're going to get back to the Chattahoochee too - it is so beautiful there and it's been years since we last visited. I still remember such a nice walk along the water and enjoying a picnic lunch with my boys along the shore. I am sure Lindsey would love it - she is so fascinated by the great outdoors, there is always so much to see and take in!

I will leave you with Lindsey and her daddy - nothing melts my heart faster than seeing the two of them together. :)


P.S. If you're looking for some food inspiration to cook up over the weekend - here are a few yummy suggestions!

Appetizers
Baked Potato Skins
Homemade Guacamole
Annie's Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

Meat
BBQ Mushroom Burgers with Avocado
BBQ Bacon Ranch Burgers 
Triple Bypass Bacon Burgers 
Best Steak Marinade in Existence
Cheesy Bacon Ultimate Dogs
Slow Cooker Ribs

Sides
Corn Casserole
Garden Pasta Salad
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
Ranch Corn on the Cob
Sweet Restaurant Style Coleslaw

Sweet Endings
Banana Pudding
Apple Pie
Chocolate Delight
Pear Crisp
Key Lime Pie
Mixed Berry Pie
Strawberry Shortcake

Comments

Popular Posts