Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles


The school year is officially back underway. Kent brought home a HUGE stack of papers for me to sign on Monday after his first day back, traffic is a mess again (we live very close to the high school, and I pass another couple schools on my way to work), and we have our first school function coming up this weekend for his JROTC group; I get to make a few batches of cornbread for a Potluck! I love that my boy volunteered me for cornbread because mine is "so good". :) He also wanted me to bring some of these cookies to share with everyone - I told him I certainly don't mind making another batch but I don't think cookies really count as a side dish (which is what his group is assigned to bring).

I'm very excited to share this recipe with you today - it was a such a great treat we enjoyed recently. I've actually never made snickerdoodle cookies before. I don't know why - we love soft sugar cookies, and I love, love, love cinnamon so this cookie should be a given in my household!   


I can tell you they certainly will be from now on. Everyone loved this recipe. They are hard to stop eating. Perfectly light and soft in the middle with a crisped edge and cinnamon sugar coating. If you want a sweeter cookie increase the amount of sugar in the cinnamon / sugar mix you roll the dough balls in. I liked them this way, but they definitely weren't all that sweet.


My sweet baby taste tester - she kept pointing and saying "cookie?" I said "Do you want a cookie?" and her eyes got all big and she'd say "Yeah!" we did that a few times before she finally grabbed one. :)

The original recipe says this makes 4 dozen cookies - but I made 24 really good sized cookies that were perfectly cooked at 11 minutes - so adjust the cooking time based on how large you make your cookies. If you make them smaller 8 minutes seems to be perfect.


Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles adapted from Beth Sigworth on AllRecipes

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cinnamon-Sugar Mix to roll cookies in:
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Cream together butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt (if dough is too wet to roll into balls, add a little more flour if needed). Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Refrigerate dough between batches.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard (if you make smaller cookies, cook them for 8 minutes, larger cookies will need a little longer). Cool on sheets for a minute or two, then carefully move to racks to finish cooling / setting. 




Comments

  1. Mmmmm, I love snickerdoodles and the texture and flavor of these looks and sounds delicious! I'll take a dozen to go, please. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts